Saturday, March 29, 2014

Art Journal Cover: Live, Love, Inspire, Create ~ Scraps of Darkness

The Scraps of Darkness Creativity Add-On for March Radioactive Kit includes a 5.5 in. x 8 in. Strathmore Visual Journal. I was so excited to see the journal, as I have wanted to try some more "experimental" art journalling, so I decided that I would use this journal for that purpose. But, before I could get to creating inside the journal, I had to alter the cover! The covers on the Strathmore Visual Journals look like this:
They serve their purpose - but are kind of boring for an Art Journal...so I used the March Kit and created a bright, fun altered cover!
First, I took the cover pieces off the binding and then I used a sheet of the Amy Tangerine Plus One paper and glued it to the cover pieces using Claudine Hellmuth Studio multi-medium. Then, I used a prima floral stencil with three of the colours of Shimmerz Dazzlerz included in the March Colour Add-on (Dreamscicle, Grapetastic and Lemon Drop. I love these bright, dimensional flowers - so fun! I coloured the frame using several different colours of watercolour pencils and then rubbed it with a baby wipe to blend the colours. I used some of the Prima Bloom Collection chipboard elements from the kit to complete the cover. I just love the teacup with the paintbrushes in it - so perfect for an Art Journal Cover and funny because I have a coffee cup on my craft table that I use for by brushes. The final addition to the cover was two coats of glossy mod-podge brushed over everything to protect it.

Now, I can't wait to get creating inside the journal!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

No comments: