Sunday, September 4, 2016

Secret Garden Mosaic Egg Shrine

I have a 'just for fun' project to share with you today. I've used a Prima Relics & Artifacts Egg Shrine by Sandra Evertson and the gorgeous Graphic 45 Secret Garden collection for this project.
I chose a small version of the central image from the Secret Garden collection and cut it into pieces and pieced them back together for the mosaic image inside the egg. I used Prima Art Basics Soft Matte Gel to adhere the mosaic pieces to the egg.
Once I had the mosaic image pieced back together, I covered the image and entire front of the egg with Distress Crackle Paint in Clear Rock Candy. Then, I added the fussy cut fence, birds and flower branch to the front of the egg. I coated the fussy cuts with Prima Art Basics Soft Gloss Gel to give them some extra durability and a bit of shine.
Inside the egg at the bottom, I have added some decorative grass and some paper daisies from Wild Orchid Crafts. I used the Soft Gloss Gel and added some gold flakes (scraped from the back of the egg's decoration) and some Diamond Sugar Dust to the flowers to give them some added interest and sparkle.
Finally, I added in a Graphic 45 Shabby Chic Ornate Metal Key with a pretty little white bow made from seam binding. The key was added to represent the key that Mary Lennox finds in the book The Secret Garden - the one that allows her into the private garden. If you haven't already read The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, then I highly recommend you do - it's wonderful!
On the back of the egg, I started the decoration by using Prima Art Extravagance Texture Paste in Gold Crackle. Once it had dried, I scraped it away in places to give the egg a more aged/vintage look. Then I coated the back of the egg with Distress Crackle Paint in Clear Rock Candy.
 I used a resin window frame from my stash and fitted an image of Mary from the Secret Garden papers behind the frame. I also added some more of the gold flakes scraped from the back of the egg and a coat of the crackle paint to the window frame.
I wish you could see this little Secret Garden Mosaic Egg Shrine in 'real life' - it looks even more beautiful than in the pictures!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today! Happy Crafting!

No comments: