Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Writing Boards for Vintage/Junk Journals ~ Creative Embellishments

Hi There Crafty Friends! Today I'm sharing a fun and functional projectwith you! I've been creating Vintage Style Junk Journals lately and wanted to include a writing board in them -- a hard surface for those who like to journal on the go -- and the Creative Embellishments Large Tags are the perfect size to tuck into a journal for this purpose! For the "writing surface" side, I wanted to make sure that it remained flat, without any bumps or embellishments that would interfere with writing, so I started off by brushing a rough coat of white gesso on one side of the tag - leaving some places where the kraft colour of the tag base could peek through. Next, I stamped the tag with the Creative Embellishments Distressed Script Stamp and some black Archival Ink. I then decoupaged torn sections from a Paris-themed Napkin onto the tag. Finally, on the writing side, I heavily inked the edges of the tag with Distress Ink in Vintage Photo.

For the reverse side of the tags, I created some "Franken-Paper" using bits of paper left over from creating the journals these tags were created for (check out Nik the Booksmith's YouTube for the inspiration for the Franken-Paper technique). I collaged the papers together and then cut the tag shapes from the collaged paper. Next, I stitched around the outside of each tag shape and along each seam of the papers; then, I added some lace that coordinates with some used in the journals. Before gluing the sewn/collaged papers to the Large Tags, I added a Pen Loop to each of the tags using wide black elastic. Finally, I glued the collaged papers to the back of each tag and inked the edges with Distress Ink. I finished off the tags with some lace, sari silk and eyelash trim and an antique-style pocket watch charm.

No comments: