Sunday, April 1, 2012

Beauty - The Paper Mixing Bowl Challenge #2

I cannot believe it is April already - this year is going by so fast! Today brings the reveal of our second challenge at The Paper Mixing Bowl challenge blog. This month we have a traditional Easter treat for you - Hot Cross Buns! Even though the recipe/sketch are Easter-inspired, you do NOT have to do an Easter layout. Since my wedding anniversary is in April, I decided to use a wedding photo for my layout this month!
Here is the recipe card for this month's challenge:
I raided my stash for this layout and used some glittery paper and some embossed paper that I had been holding onto for a while. I shifted my sketch slightly for my layout, moving my picture to the left and the journalling to the right side of the page. I managed to use all the Utensils except stitching on this layout (the bolded items in my layout description are the utensils).The Main Ingredient for this challenge was "White Icing" - meaning that white had to feature prominently in the layout - so I've used the white embossed paper, white doilies, white tags and white flowers for this element. I decided to go with a two-tone layout and chose shades of pink as my alternate colour. I punched the white paper and one of the layers of pink paper with a Martha Stewart Punch-Around-the-Page Double Loops punch. I had to use a lot of liquid glue for this layout because of the glittery papers I used - FYI glue runners and glitter paper don't go together! I added two different sizes of round doilies to my layering, using the smaller one as the mat for my photo. I added some crinkle ribbon around the edge of my photo to finish the cut-edge of the circular photo. I used Petaloo Color Me Crazy Wild Roses around the title and in the upper left corner of the layout.
I cut-out an oval doily on my silhouette and used it as the background for my title, which is a chipboard word by dusty attic. I painted the title with Distress Crackle Paint in Tattered Rose and then inked it (after it dried) with Distress Ink in Tattered Rose. I wasn't thrilled with how it had turned out so I added a coat of Smooch Pearlized Accent Ink in Shabby Pink and then a layer of Ranger Crackle Accents.
The chipboard dress form is also by Dusty Attic. I painted the dress form with Distress Crackle Paint in Tattered Rose and then inked it (after it dried) with Distress Ink in Tattered Rose. I then added Distress Stickles in (you guessed it) Tattered Rose to the "body" of the dress form. I used Smooch Pearlized Accent Ink in Illuminate on the remainder of the dress form. I finished off the neck of the dress form with three half-pearls to create a 'necklace'.
The final element of this layout is the journalling tags - which I cut on my Silhouette and printed on my printer. I had some difficulty getting the printing straight...so I might recut/reprint the tags. I added some more of the crinkle ribbon to the tag loops. The journalling is about how I felt on my wedding day and reads:
Every woman deserves to feel beautiful on her wedding day - and I did. I loved my wedding dress - I felt so happy and, if only for an evening, like the most beautiful woman in the world. Even though my fiancĂ© and I had been together for years, our wedding day was so special. I look at my wedding pictures and I remember the joy and excitement of that day and how it was the start of a new chapter in our lives. 
Thanks so much for visiting my blog today.  I hope you'll hop over to The Paper Mixing Bowl blog and play along with Recipe Challenge #2!

Materials Used:
Patterned Paper: Doodlebug Designs - Paisley Impressions Cardstock (white) and Ladybug Daydream Cardstock (Dark Pink Glitter paper); SEI Mimosa Collection - Daquiri paper; Recollections White Cardstock; Doilies by Wilton; Petaloo Color Me Crazy Wild Roses; Prima Rose Leaves; Dusty Attic Mini Words #2 chipboard word "Beauty"; Dusty Attic Dress Form #2 (small); Distress Crackle Paint in Tattered Rose; Distress Ink in Tattered Rose; Distress Stickles in Tattered Rose; Smooch Pearlized Accent Ink in Shabby Pink and Illuminate; Ranger Crackle Accents; Basic Grey Opaline Half Pearls; Crinkle Ribbon from stash; Martha Stewart Punch Around the Page Double Loops; EK Success Corner Rounder; Circle Cutter; Silhouette Die Cutter; Aleene's Tacky Glue; Memory Tape Runner XL; Glue Dots - Memory Book and Mini.

1 comment:

Heather Jacob said...

stunning Sarah ... love the rich colors and the textures ... beautiful work xoxo
good luck in the blog hop xoxox