Saturday, February 9, 2013

Unforgettable - Details and Closeups (ScrapThat! February Kit)

I'm sharing the details of my second layout with the ScrapThat! February kit. For this layout, I wanted to show the versatility of the kit and went with a monochromatic, masculine layout. The photo of my sweet little boy was taken during his first train ride - the "Santa Train" - it truly was an "Unforgettable" day. I adore this photo and really wanted it to be the focal point of the layout, which is why it is the only real colour on the layout.
This layout is based on the February ScrapThat! sketch and was made with the Main Kit plus a few items from my stash (Twine, a brad, Distress Embossing Powder and Ink) and two pieces of Imaginarium Designs Chipboard. I used the natural cardstock as the base page and water-distressed the Harlequin paper for the first layer. I cut the title and other layering elements from the Dear John and  Messenger papers and also added in some Prima packaging (LOVE using their packaging in layering). Here is a close-up of the photo/layering section. I did some hand stitching with twine along the edge of one of the layered papers.
I loved the hot air balloon and wanted to use it on the layout but wanted to dress it up a bit. So I added the twine to make it appear as if the balloon were suspended on the page. I didn't have a brad to match the layout, so I used a purple one, heated it with my heat-embossing tool and dipped it into my Distress Embossing Powder in Frayed Burlap to make it match the layout!
Finally, for the chipboard elements, I simply inked them with Distress Ink in Walnut Stain and roughly embossed them (i.e. here and there) with the Distress Embossing Powder in Frayed Burlap. Here is a close-up of the compass.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. I appreciate your visits and sweet comments so much!

Materials Used: TBA

2 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous layout Sarah! Love all the texture and distressing!

Marianne/skorpionen said...

gorgeous layout!! Love the twine on the air balloon and the chipboards!