Wednesday, March 30, 2016

"Art is the Answer" - Grungy, Mixed Media Art Journal Cover ~ Creative Embellishments

I have a fun new mixed media Art Journal cover to show you today. This  large 9x12 journal by Strathmore has a plain cover that is pretty uninspiring, so it definitely needed a facelift.
First, I added some lace and pieces of torn corrugated cardboard to the front cover to add lots of beautiful texture. Next, I primed both the front and back covers with several coats of Heavy White Gesso. Once the gesso was dry, I used The Crafter's Workshop 6x6 Art Is Stencil and stenciled on the front and back covers. I primed the Creative Embellishments Art Palette with heavy black gesso and also used the stencil on it, smearing some of the stenciling purposely to make it look like the Art Palette was in use. I added some inexpensive paintbrushes to the palette and layered a Creative Embellishments Mini Frame on top of the brushes. I attached the decorated palette to the journal cover and began misting using Lindy's Stamp Gang Moonshadow Mists in Buccaneer Bay Blue and Tawny Turquoise, as well as a little Starburst Mist in Jack in the Pulpit Teal and then splattered the cover with the Moonshadow Mists. I also heavily inked the edges of the journal cover with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. Here are a couple of close-ups and angles of the front and back covers.



I continued embellishing the front cover by adding some Creative Embellishments Gears and 1 1/2-inch Gears. I embossed all the gears with Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder and then added a little extra colour to them with Art Alchemy Acrylic Paints in Steampunk Copper, Light Patina, and Opal Magic Blue Gold. I also dry brushed some the paints on the Mini-Frame and the paint brushes. I added a Creative Embellishments Wind Me Up Clock Key on the right side of the cover to help with opening the journal - I painted the clock key with the Copper and Blue Gold paints. Finally, I used two of Finnabair's new Mechanicals - Tin Hearts and Rustic Washers - and layered them in the centre of the Mini Frame. I lightly painted the washer with the copper paint and then wiped it away so it would stay in the recessed words. Here are some more close-ups!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today! I hope you were a bit inspired by my journal cover facelift!

No comments: