Monday, May 29, 2017

Vintage Tags ~ Creative Embellishments

Today, I'm sharing two Vintage Tags with you, which I created using fantastic stencils and chipboard from Creative Embellishments! I wanted to challenge myself to create some mixed media tags on a black background - and these are the result! I used the Tim Holtz Alterations Tag Collection Die to cut the tags out of heavy black cardstock and black drawing paper. I glued the drawing paper tags on top of the cardstock ones, leaving the edges loose so I could curl/fold them up for a more distressed/vintage look. I dug into my stash and used papers from Graphic 45's gorgeous Renaissance Faire collection for the layering/images on the tags. Scroll down for more details about each tag!
On the first tag, I've used: the Paris Postmark Stencil, a crown from Crown Set 2, an Arched Window, and a Square Mini Frame. I started by stenciling the Paris Postmark using Prima Art Basics Modeling Paste. I used cut-outs and a fussy cut image from the Graphic 45 Renaissance Faire collection to create the layers on the tag - inking all the paper edges with Distress Ink in Ground Espresso. I added pieces of cheesecloth that I dyed black using Dylusions Ink in Black Marble. I cut the arch off of the Arched Window - using the rectangular section over the fussy-cut image and saving the arch to tuck into the layers. Then, I cut apart one of the Square Mini Frames - adhering the ornate corners to the back of the rectangular window's corners to create an ornately framed window! Next, I primed all the chipboard pieces using Prima Art Basics Heavy Black Gesso. I added Prima Art Extravagance Limestone Stone Effect Paste to the Arched Window and Frame pieces. Once the Stone Effect Paste was dry, I sponged on some more Black Gesso. Then, I used three Prima Art Alchemy Waxes to add colour to the chipboard pieces - White Gold Metallique Wax, Vintage Gold Metallique Wax, and Red Amber Antique Brilliance Wax. Finally, I finished off the first tag by rubbing some of the Vintage Gold wax onto the tag background, splattering the tag with watered-down Black Gesso, and adding some black ribbon and a metal charm to the tag's top.


On the second tag, I've used: the Metal Stencil, a Door Knocker, a Square Mini Frame, and a Mini Frame. I started off using the Metal Stencil along with some Shimmerz Texturez in Gritty Graphite. Then, I layered cut outs and an image from the Graphic 45 Renaissance Faire collection, along with some of the black-dyed cheesecloth. I cut the Square Mini Frame in half - adding each piece under either side of the central image. Then, I used the oval Mini Frame on top of the central image. I primed all the chipboard pieces using Prima Art Basics Heavy Black Gesso. I added Prima Art Extravagance Limestone Stone Effect Paste to the Mini Frames. Once the Stone Effect Paste was dry, I sponged on some more Black Gesso. Then, I used three Prima Art Alchemy Waxes to add colour to the chipboard pieces - Old Silver Metallique Wax, Lucky Emerald Antique Brilliance Wax, and Fire Ruby Antique Brilliance Wax. Finally, I finished off the first tag by rubbing some of the Old Silver wax onto the tag background, splattering the tag with watered-down Black Gesso, and adding some black ribbon and a cameo charm to the tag's top.



1 comment:

JuJu Crafts said...

Just beautiful! Saw a pic on the Finnabair FB site - had to come to your blog to check it out .. LOVELY work. Lisa