Monday, March 11, 2013

Our Boy - Details and Close-ups (ScrapThat! March Kit)

It is time to share some of the details and close-ups of my ScrapThat! March Kit layouts! Over the next few days I'll share the details of each of the layouts I created with the March Kit "New Blooms". I was so excited to get this kit, which features gorgeous Meg's Garden papers. These papers are so beautiful and have wonderful details with so much fussy-cutting potential, as you'll see on this first layout I'm sharing, entitled "Our Boy". The photo is one of my son's first "School Pictures" (his daycare does pictures) - and I was so pleased with how the photos from One for the Wall photography turned out.
I started out by fussy cutting the pink floral page around the edges. I added in some doilies that I inked with green chalk ink around the edges and used the light green cardstock as the base page. I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut the green 'trellis' from one of the sheets of patterned paper and fussy cut the leaves from another sheet.
The title is a Chipboard phrase by Imaginarium Designs. It took me several mediums/techniques until I finally got a colour/effect I liked on it. When you're working with chipboard, don't get discouraged - just keep adding paint, ink, chalk, gesso until you get a result that you like! This piece started out with a coat of gesso, green and white pastels and then Distress Crackle Paint in Hard Rock Candy. I didn't like how it turned out, so I tried inking it with Distress Ink in Vintage Photo (to pick up the brown in the paper). That turned it into a muddy-green failure. So, I rescued it with another coat of gesso, which ended up looking great!
In this close-up you can see some of the fussy-cut leaves, as well as the natural skeleton leaves that came in the main kit. The green/white flowers are from the Flower Add-On and the large White flower is from the February ScrapThat! Flower Add-On.
Another close-up of the fussy-cut leaves and green/white flowers. You can also see two of the three Imaginarium Designs chipboard butterflies on this layout. I used gesso and three different colours of smooch to create the three different butterflies.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. I appreciate your visits and sweet comments so much!

1 comment:

Keren Tamir said...

This is beautiful Sarah!! I love the romantic feel of this LO even though its for a boy