Friday, April 19, 2013

Mixed Media Demonstration

With all the mixed media being used on layouts lately, I thought it might be nice to show all my scrappy friends a little demonstration of some different mediums! They are super fun to use and can have such an impact on your scrapbook pages. For this demonstration, I've used six different mediums and a Prima mask to show their different effects:  1. Gesso, 2. Light Molding Paste, 3. Modelling Paste, 4. Heavy Gel Medium, 5. White Texture Effect, and 6. Sparkle Texture Effect. The paint brush and 'credit card' are what I used to apply the mediums to the paper.
To start out with, I taped my stencil over my paper to make sure it didn't shift during the process of applying the media.
I then applied the different media to the appropriate sections of the page. I sponged the gesso on using the sponge brush - this gives the gesso a nice textured effect. I scraped the thicker media over the stencil using the 'credit card' - this is the easiest way to spread the medium fairly evenly.
Here is what the different media look like once they're dry.
And some close-ups of each of the different media so you can get a better idea of their effects on the page.
1. Gesso

2. Light Molding Paste

3. Modelling Paste

4. Heavy Gel Medium

5. White Texture Effect

6. Sparkle Texture Effect
Finally, I misted everything with a light coat of Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist so that you could get an idea of how the different media react to misting!
I hope you liked this little Mixed Media demonstration and that it inspires you  give some different media a try on one of your scrapbook pages!

Happy Scrapping!

8 comments:

Patricia said...

Such a neat presentation!!! Thanks for sharing!

Monica said...

wow. This is very helpful.. I like the white texture effect .. I've never tried it.. did you use a credit card to apply that? If I saw the picture correctly .. it looks like that is from Martha Stewart? Love it!

Lee aka Violent Kittie said...

I love your tut! Nice, simple, but loads of info!

Unknown said...

Thank for sharing Sarah! My fave is the molding paste and texture!Have a great weekend! Mandy

reneabouquets said...

Such a wonderful presentation and intro to all the different mediums! Thank you Sarah!!

Mell Pell Mell said...

O, it's very usefull information)) Thanx)

Drycha said...

very nice board!!

Lynn said...

Found this on ideas for scrapbookers and had to pop in to say hi!
Thanks for this post! It's nice to see the different textures in mixed media. Have a great weekend :)